Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What am I starting here......

I have often been told that I should write a book, but really don't think I have either the fortitude or the interest to do such a thing.  I guess standing back and looking at my life so far there are some memorable and perhaps interesting things that have happened that could serve as a lesson to others and some that could serve as an example but whether I want them paraded in print is questionable.

This has been started purely on a whim as I read the first blog of a friend and just kept hitting buttons as one is wont to do when procrastinating about a couple of tasks that I am finding too daunting to tackle.

I am currently on holiday from both my jobs and from my full time university course but have a mountain of housework and backed up paperwork that I should be tackling.  I am also inflicted with the hoarders disease that includes books, clothes, paper, anything belonging to my six children, and all things crafty.  Not conducive to being able to do anything without first clearing a space, and the 'clear to' areas are diminishing fast!!  Hence the Badmumma title which has the added tie that B.A.D. are my initials. 

Okay, maybe an introduction.
For the last 13 years I have been single parenting my six children.  I am currently down to two at home as they are all growing up and becoming pretty wonderful adults, biased I know, but they are.
Last year, 2010, my third and fourth finished University degrees and my fifth finished Secondary School so will head off to university in a couple of months.  The eldest two have been travelling the world, one is paid to do that in her job as Tour manager for a group of young acrobatic musicians, but the other, my only son has had to self-fund his travelling.  They are both back in Australia and have new work contracts so look like staying in Australia at least in the short term.  One is co-producing a large Arts Festival the other working in IT.
My uni graduates are both going to do some further study this year but are looking for jobs in their chosen fields, Nutrition and Science, so far not successfully.
I am going into the third of four years of the Bachelor of Education degree with only 10 units left to complete as I have moved some forward over the last two years.  This has meant juggling my other two jobs and my family which has probably added to the disaster zone of my house but does mean that these two years will be somewhat lighter, study wise.  My jobs both involve working at schools, one as an integration aide and the other as an Out of School Hours co-ordinator.  I have been doing OOSH work for the last 21 years, starting two programs from scratch and working at several others as the need arose.  My integration work has been for the last 10 years the first 4 as an unpaid volunteer (as were ALL the staff of my chosen school - a story for another day) but the last six as paid.  In all the previous years to joining the workforce outside the home I was involved in Family Day Care and as a volunteer in each of my children's classrooms on a regular basis.  I also spent a couple of those years running the school canteen and on many school and kinder committees.
Sadly all of that experience meant nothing in getting any credit for my degree.  I did receive some exemptions but they were due to my Diploma in Children's Services rather than my experience.  Oh well I am getting it done... counting down the units now.
Should head into the disaster zone now and make the most of the cool wet summer we are having and tackle at least one of my daunting tasks.
Annettewith6

No comments:

Post a Comment